How To: Open a Wine Bottle Without a Corkscrew

This just might be the most important thing I ever write. Haha.



So my boss recently bought me a nice bottle of wine. I normally am a cheap wine kind of girl. My favorite is by a company called Arbor Mist (I can feel you judging me right now). I love Moscato and in an effort to broaden my wine horizons, he got me a nice bottle of D'Asti.

Now the problem with drinking nicer wine when you usually don't, is the cork. My A.M. wine has a twist off cap, i.e. my kitchen lacking a certain tool known as Le Corkscrew. That's French (it's not) for a fancy, twisty, doodad you use to get the cork out of the bottle. I don't have one.

Now could I have driven the 5 minutes to the store? Well, yes but I have two kids and as most moms know loading kids into the car, getting them out, navigating a store and then getting back into the car can sometimes feel like herding cats.. angry, wet cats that just want to go home and watch videos on Youtube.

Luckily for me, I came up with a plan. I have heard that you can use a screw to get the cork out of a bottle. So I set to work with the determination of a cockroach!
I'm not sure if this is just a mid-west thing but as far as I know, every house that I have ever been at has something called a "junk drawer". This is where you throw things that you probably don't need to keep but you never know when you might need them.
Examples of things in the junk drawer: batteries, twist ties, thumb tacks, a random thing of nail glue, extension cords, chargers to phones you no longer have - and in my case, deck screws!

My husband is a "tool guy". If your significant other is not a tool enthusiast, then you won't know what I mean. If he or she is, then you likely share in the pain of having an entire shed full of tools. It has gotten to the point of when he needs something, he sometimes buys it again because he has forgotten getting it the first go round. His tool addiction has basically turned into blurry Lowe's trips that run into one another.




This is one of those rare times (I will deny it if you tell him) that this came in handy. I grabbed his electric drill and used it to drive the screw down into the bottle. It needs to be as far as you can get it in the cork. I assume you could do this by hand with a simple Phillip's head but, that isn't nearly as fun.
Next I grabbed some needle-nose pliers (found in the junk drawer) and used them to pry the cork out. I found that using the side of the bottle for stability like a lever is the easiest way to make the cork move. Once the cork starts to come out, I tapped the sides of the bottle gently to help release the hold. I honestly don't know if this did anything, but I started prying again and the cork came out so I thought I should include it.





With a "pop" the cork sprang loose and I pretty much felt like a certified B.A.
I next poured myself a glass of sweet victory, and now know what it tastes like to spend more than $4 dollars on a bottle of wine - pretty darn tasty.

The take away?
With the use of power tools, pliers and a little bit of elbow grease - you too can avoid driving to the store to buy the tool that is LITERALLY made for this job. If you're a mom, I know you are reading this and thinking- YUP. Totally worth it!


I've said it before - don't ever tell me I have never taught you anything.
I'm just out here to spread wisdom, and teach the really VALUABLE life lessons. Haha.
Xo,
Kendra B.

Comments

  1. Your Affiliate Money Making Machine is waiting -

    Plus, getting it running is as simple as 1, 2, 3!

    This is how it all works...

    STEP 1. Choose which affiliate products you intend to promote
    STEP 2. Add push button traffic (it LITERALLY takes JUST 2 minutes)
    STEP 3. Watch the system grow your list and sell your affiliate products all for you!

    Are you ready?

    Get the full details here

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting My Makeup Professionally Done

5 Tips and Tricks for Curly Hair