5 Tips and Tricks for Curly Hair

For years I would only wear my hair straight. I HATED MY CURLS! I couldn't understand why I had to have this messy, wild hair while all the other girls had beautiful, straight and shiny tresses.
I come from the era of curls being Ramen noodle, crunchy curls with WAY too much hair gel. Even then, I noticed that my hair never looked the same as the other girls!
I started straightening my hair in middle school. I flat ironed it within an inch of its life. I spent hours sectioning off my extremely thick hair and going over it again and again with my Chi straightener. I would simply force my curls into submission. They had NO choice. This is what I thought I had to do to be accepted!


I am a few years older and (mostly) wiser!
As an adult I have learned to embrace my curls. I still occasionally wear my hair straight but for the most part, I wear it natural. Over the years- mostly through trial and error, I have discovered a few tips and tricks that ensure that I will have a "good hair day". 


I have included a few of the products that I use in my Tips and Tricks. These brands are not sponsored. I do not receive any compensation if you choose to try them out. I have purchased all of them myself and I actually use them in my routine. I am showing them to you because I genuinely LOVE them!
I have Type 2B curls on the top layer and 3B curls on the bottom layer. All the products shown are specifically made for ALL curl types.



1. It all starts in the shower. 

The type of shampoo that you use MATTERS! 
Try to find one without sulfates! Sulfates are EVIL little chemicals that strip curly hair of it's much needed oils which can make your hair dry and dehydrated! There are many options to choose from. I also try to steer away from Parabens as they can also dry out hair and make it look frizzy and damaged especially if you color your hair!


*Note* I brush my hair BEFORE getting into the shower and do NOT brush it after I get out.

2. Microfiber towels are a life saver!


No joke, my kids KNOW better than to use mommy's hair towel. It absorbs all the water from my hair and helps to define my curls without frizzing them like other towels can. I flip my head over when towel drying it to help build body.
The one I am using is from a Devacurl. You can find it at Ulta for $20.


3. Blow drying with a diffuser has changed my life!



My gorgeous cosmetologist friend Bre colored my hair and recently used a diffuser when she blew my hair dry. My curls looked amazing! I went home and realized the my blow dryer didn't have that attachment so I went on the hunt so I could try to replicate the look she had created. I found this pink one at Sally's. I paid right around $13 (so worth it!). It simply wraps around the end of your blow dryer. It is a one size fits most. It was easy to both install and remove, plus it folds into itself for easy storage.



4. A good curl cream is your best friend!
I was actually introduced to this product by IPSY when I received it in one of my monthly bags. I used it and instantly fell in love. It makes my curls defined and bouncy,  while keeping them frizz-free. It also smells AMAZING! You can find this at Walmart, Target, Ulta and most drugstores for around $6.
I personally prefer a cream over oil. Honestly, I am lazy and I HATE washing my hair. Creams let me go a little longer between washes which is FINE by me!

*Note- I do NOT wash my hair everyday. Some times I can go up to 4 days without washing it as long I am not sweating, dirty, etc. You know your hair best and can find a routine that works for you.

5. Embrace what God gave you!
Just like snowflakes, no two people are alike and neither is their hair. I am a strong believer that every woman is beautiful and that true beauty radiates from the inside!
I spent WAY too much time worrying about what other people thought and trying to fit into a box of what I thought beautiful looked like. It turned into a prison of self doubt! Spending 2 hours straightening my hair is exhausting! I'm not saying that I never do that now, but when I do- it is for ME! I now feel like a total babe with my wild mane OR with sleek, straight locks. Rock that mop and do it with confidence!
Xo,
Kendra




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To: Open a Wine Bottle Without a Corkscrew

Getting My Makeup Professionally Done