My 20 favorite Netflix Shows (With Mommy guide)


I absolutely adore streaming services. I feel that Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc have COMPLETELY changed the way we watch television. I mean, RIP Blockbuster - Am I right?
With that being said, another great perk of Netflix is that you are in TOTAL control of what you watch. If something isn't your cup of tea, you can simply click off of it and immediately begin a new series without even having to wait.
All of the statements below are my opinion. I do not own the rights to any of the shows and I am not going to be compensated if you decide to watch them. I made this list to give you a peak into my Netflix history. I never knew how diverse my streaming choices are until I sat down and started making this list.
These are in no order. I numbered this page and started typing! I tried to include a variety of shows along with whether or not I would deem them "kid friendly". I would consider myself somewhere in the middle as far as sheltering my kids- maybe somewhere between Proverbs and Cardi B.
As a parent, you can do whatever you feel is best for your kids! We are all winging it out here anyways.

20 Fave Shows to stream!


1. Glow up
1 Season
This one is perfect for lovers of makeup, fashion and creative competition based shows like Project Runway or Ink'd. It features fierce challenges to figure out the hottest newcomer in the professional makeup artist industry!
My 8 year old watched parts with me but got bored pretty quickly.
TV-14


2. The Office
9 Seasons
I adore this show. It will appeal to those with a dry, nonsensical sense of humor that find laughter in the outrageous situations of everyday life. The characters are extremely loveable. Great for a laugh.
Maybe wait until the young kids go to bed, teens might be fine but the humor very well may go over their head. A lot of Sexual humor, some swearing and mild violence.
TV-14


3. Love is Blind
1 Season
This show is pretty cheesey, so be warned. I do like it a lot. This "reality" dating show is based on people getting engaged without ever actually seeing eachother, hints the title.
There is language and sexuality through out. Maybe watch this one without the kids.
TV-MA

4. The Good Place
4 Seasons
This show is one that has a very interesting concept and a few unseen plot twists. I would consider it to be a "dark" comedy with adult themes and situations.
Okay for the older teens, but you might prompt the younger kids to scoot out of the room.
TV-14


5. Atypical
3 Seasons
I love Atypical. I can't stress that enough. It deals with a high school boy who faces the challenges of high school and growing up. This in itself is already a difficult task. The lead character also has Autism and this show follows him as he learns new ways to relate to the world. I would consider this a MUST SEE. Although I think the message is an important one of acceptance, this show does feature sexual themes and cussing.
TV-MA


6. The Stair Case
1 Season
If you are a fan of crime shows that take you on a wild ride, this is one for you. I can not even stress how crazy this show is.
WARNING: NOT FOR CHILDREN!!!
This may not be right for even some adults. It features graphic photos from real crime scenes, nudity and swearing. Again, this show is not for everyone!
TV-MA


7. The Pharmacist
1 Season
This is another Docu-series that will draw you in and take you on a wild journey. It follows a man who is determined to
1. Find his son's killer and 2. Stop an injustice that is causing an epidemic.
This is not for children. It features a murder, reenactments, drug use and swearing.
TV-MA


8. Salt Fat Acid Heat
1 Season
I am a girl who LOVES to eat. This show explores the different components of what makes food taste good. Drooling!
Fine for the kids to watch but there is a good chance they will get bored!
TV-PG (does featuring alcohol as it is paired with food)


9. The Haunting of Hill House
2 Seasons
I have ALWAYS been a huge fan of Horror films and this series is a reminder of why. Prepare to sleep with the lights on! This one is spooky, freaky and down right SCARY.
Not for kids. Horror, gore, language, nudity and sexuality.
After watching this you might want to sleep in the kiddos beds so they can keep YOU safe. Haha.
TV-MA


10. Dirty Money
1 Season
This one makes you THINK! This docu-series talks about the evils of corporate greed.
Mature teens and up. It features so language and drinking/drug use. I imagine anyone under the age of 20ish or who doesn't care for documentaries might be extremely bored.
TV-14


11. Explained
2 Seasons
This show can be very informative and educational but some content is clearly socially driven. I will let you decide for yourself if it is all based on fact, or if opinion works its way into this informative Docu-series! Some of the popular topics include:  race, tattoos, the wage gap, K-pop, sex and drugs.
As you probably saw in the last sentence, this one might not be the best for kids.
TV-MA


12. You
2 Seasons
Where to even start with this? Between the Facebook memes and the global obsession, it seems highly unlikely that you haven't heard of You. Basically this show is part Rom-com, part thriller, part creepy stalker show. If that doesn't have you intrigued, I don't know what will.
Mature, older teens might be okay but this is definitely an adult show. It features a multitude of sex, violence, drinking and drugs, language and a whole lot of what NOT to do in a relationship.
TV-MA



13. Sex Education
2 Seasons
As judging by the title, this show is about sex.. education.
Basically a bunch of high school kids seek sexual advice from a student who's mother works as a sex therapist.
This whole show is about sex... literally every episode. It also features language with underage (characters) drinking and experimenting with drugs.
TV-14, but the mom in me says it should be TV-MA (prude much, haha)


14. Queer Eye
4 Seasons
Oh, I love Queer Eye. They make ME want to be a BETTER version of myself. This is the reboot of the early 2000s show, Queer eye for the Straight Guy. It is centered around the "Fab 5" who give deserving people full makeovers all while spreading positivity, acceptance and love. Another MUST SEE!
I watched it with both my kids. There are a few "sex jokes" but they honestly went right over my kiddos heads.
TV-14


15. Dear White People
3 Seasons
This show is about an African-American woman in college and the challenges she faces including racism, love, empowerment, and injustice. It is both a comedy and a drama.
This show is best for older teens as it features sex, language and some college partying.
TV-MA


16. Stranger Things
3 Seasons
This is another show that I feel EVERYONE has heard about. A group of kids, some sci-fi craziness and a whole lot of neon 80s clothing are the perfect recipe for BINGE WATCHING.
This one is not for little kids, but okay for teens. It has some scary parts to it as well as some language, minor sexuality, drinking and "sci-fi" style violence.
TV-14


17. Bates Motel
5 Seasons
TRIGGER WARNING!
Oh, Norman. He is an absolute nut. I must admit that I watched this series back to back almost in it's entirety. It is a modern day take on the classic "Psycho" movies. My husband and I recently finished re-watching it and it was just as good on the second run through!
Nope, definitely not for kids. This features violence (including a rape scene), sex, language, drugs and general creeper vibes.
TV-14, but I think it should be TV-MA


18. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
4 Seasons
This show originally caught my eye with it's interesting concept. It features a main character who returns to society after being help captive by a "cult"-leader in an underground bunker. As dark as that sounds, this is actually a comedy and the characters are both quirky and lovable.
I would say this is okay mid-teens. It does feature some language, partying and sexuality.
TV-14


19. Workin' Moms
3 Seasons
I LOVE THIS SHOW. It talks about the challenges moms face in the workplace and home, along with societal expectations.
As a mom, I feel like these women are so much cooler that me. I want to hang out with them. They say and do the things that I would never dare.
With that being said, this is not for the kids.. or the teens.. maybe even cover the dog's eyes.
It has nudity, language, sexuality, drug use and moms acting wild.
TV-MA


20. I am a Killer
2 Seasons
This show takes you behind bars to see real, first person interviews with inmates on death row. It tells the stories of the crime, the victim and the circumstances around it. It is intense.
Not for kids as it can be graphic.
TV-MA

BONUS
21. The Circle
This show was not originally going to go in this guide but my husband and I have been watching it together and it has us hooked. This reality style TV show highlights how people interact on social media. This is perfect for a day when you have nothing planned and want to waste a few hours of your day yelling at your television set.
Not for kids. It has cussing, Sexuality, partying and adult humor.
TV-MA


I hope you enjoyed this guide!
Pour something in a glass, throw on a face mask (self care, yes please) and get your BINGE on.


Xo,
Kendra


*Note*
I am by no means an expert and this is just ONE review/opinion. If you are on the fence about letting your family watch these shows you can view more in depth parental guides and read real life comments from parent's on commonsensenmedia.org. I have found this site very useful over the years!

**I do NOT own the rights to the shows or images used. All rights are retained by their respective owners.**

Comments

  1. According to Stanford Medical, It is indeed the ONLY reason this country's women live 10 years longer and weigh 19 KG lighter than we do.

    (And actually, it is not related to genetics or some secret diet and absolutely EVERYTHING to do with "how" they are eating.)

    BTW, I said "HOW", and not "WHAT"...

    TAP on this link to see if this quick quiz can help you find out your true weight loss potential

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To: Open a Wine Bottle Without a Corkscrew

Getting My Makeup Professionally Done

5 Tips and Tricks for Curly Hair